Tuesday, June 12, 2012

W.L. Weller 12 Year - A "Wheated" Bourbon

W.L. Weller 12 Years Old, Buffalo Trace Distillery - 90 proof - $24
This, as well as all Weller products, is a "wheated" bourbon. Most straight bourbon is distilled using corn (at least 51%) , rye, and barley.  William Larue Weller (1825-1899) was allegedly the first distiller to produce straight bourbon using wheat in the mash bill instead of rye.  Substituting wheat for rye makes for a sweater, less spicy, less dry bourbon.

The nose has very pleasant aromas of maple, vanilla and caramel.  After 10-15 minutes in the glass the maple smell is more prevalent.
The whiskey coats my palate with everything in the nose.  I can also taste what I always like to describe as the 'bark' from the center of a Butterfingers bar.  Kind of a toffee/caramel flavor.
The finish lingers with sweetness for a good 30 seconds.
Absolutely delicious.  For me, this is every bit as good as the Van Winkle 12 year for less than 1/2 the price.

In the short time that I have been enjoying American Whiskey (about 6 months), I have tried about 40 different products.  This is by far my favorite for under $25, and one of my go to pours.  Damn!  I finished the bottle.  Looks like a trip to Costa Mesa in my future, or perhaps I will have them ship a few bottles.
92/100 - Highly recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment